It is essential that your vehicle has a valid MOT certificate. It’s a legal requirement for any vehicle using the roads. An MOT makes sure that your vehicle is safe and roadworthy, and also, can catch many small issues before they become big problems. It is important not to confuse a Service with an MOT.
What is checked on an MOT Test?
Seats & Seatbelts
- The driver’s seat is required to be secure and adjustable
- All of the seatbelts need to be in good condition and function correctly
- All mirrors need to be secure and in place
- Wing Mirrors and Rear View Mirrors should provide adequate views of the road
- All mirrors should not be cracked or damaged in away that would impair vision
- The horn should be in working order and audible enough to be heard by other motorists
- The speedometer is required to function accurately
- It is ok if the glass is cracked as long as vision is not impaired
The lights on your vehicle are as follows: Front, Rear, Brake, Indicators, rear Reflectors, Fog and Registration Plate. These must:
- Be in correct working order – It’s a good idea to check and replace any broken bulbs prior to your test.
- Be in the correct position
- Be safe and secure
- Not be obscured
- Shine in the correct colour
Windows & Wipers
- The drivers view will be checked on your test. So you must have not cracks or damage on your windscreen in order to pass. The general rules is that any damage larger than 40mm on the windscreen, or 10mm in the swept area where the wipers run in front of the driver, will be deemed an obstruction and the vehicle will fail.
- Windscreen Wipers are required to function and not be damaged
- Wash fluid container must be full
Tyres & Wheels
- Wheels will be checked for damage & distortion
- All tyres must be the correct size and match each other for structure
- Tyre must have 1.6mm tread depth or more
- Tyres must be at the correct pressures
- The bodywork is required to be free from excessive damage or corrosion. If there are sharp edges that could cause injury it will fail.
- The door must latch securely
- Rear doors must be able to be opened from the outside
- Front doors must be able to be opened from both the inside and the outside
- The boot and bonnet should close securely
- Both plates need to be secured properly to the vehicle
- The plates should be be obscured by damage or dirt
- Custom plates which to not comply to standard formatting could lead to a failed test
- A brake performance test will be carried out to test the overall condition of the braking system
- The brake lights and relevant dashboard lights will also be checked
Steering & Suspension
- Your steering must not show signs of damage or corrosion
- Steering wheel must only lock when the car is turned off
- Suspension systems will be inspected for excessive damage
- There should be no leaks in the fuel system and your fuel filler cap should lock
- The exhaust must be complete and it will be checked for any leaks, corrosion and damage
- The noise of the exhaust will be examined
- Emissions must meet legal specifications
- The battery and all wiring will be checked for functionality and condition
At all branches of Days Garage we have MOT testing facilities. Book your vehicle in at one of our garages today.
Book MOT Now